The Camper Build

This is the Blog Addendum. To see the main page, go here.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Camper Drawingboard

So here's a rough draft of the camper as I try to figure out the specifics. This is a little different from the plans I got as the bottom half of the camper is meant to conform more to the wheel wells to give me more room. This is more complicated and requires more parts, but I think I'll want the space. The real bugger about this is that the front and rear panels as well as my framing jig are larger than 4 feet in any direction requiring me to bond 2 panels together. I was thinking of hardwood ply for the front and back and using a router to make an overlap joint to make the gluing a little better. I may still. Failing that, there's sheathing plywood like you'd use for subfloors that is thick, cheap and come with a tongue and groove making bonding way easier.

The glue I plan on using for almost all of the construction is Gorilla glue, which is a moisture activated urathane glue that works very well. That zig-zag mess of corner gussets you see I think I'll try to replace with single zig-zag pieces for even more strength and simplicity. Cutting them won't be that simple, but in the back of my head I'm already planning on a pattern bit for my router to make these perfect and identical. I can rough out the shapes with a reciprocating saw and then use the router to no-shit the edges.

I think it's a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make it cool, smart or funny, or even polite.
Otherwise, put it on your own blog.