My ever-present hurdle, though, is that I can't get my hands on wood that can finish the curved sections of the roof.
I honestly didn't think it'd be this hard. My kerf jig was good, but lacking: the final product was too thin, the guide pins got hung up in the slots constantly and the saw itself HATED the work. It was really rough going and altogether exhausting. There must be a better way to do this incredibly difficult thing.
So while tossing that idea in my head I considered: ok, the circular saw hates this because: A. As the wood became flexy, it would pinch the non-toothed part of the saw blade and create a lot of drag and B. The saw blade isn't really meant for slotting- it's meant to cut all the way through. Slotting is the most difficult thing to do with a circular saw and I added up a need for about 30 8 foot slots.
That's a lot.And that's only on one side. The solution would have to get rid of those problems, but how?
Well, I can replace the pins with a fence. That'll make running the kerfs smoother and more straight, which is a great start. However, this doesn't get rid of the whole circular-saw-hates-this-bullshit problem. Ok, it won't play. Who will?
![]() |
| This Guy |
ok, but how? Kerf Jig 2.0 is how, duh!
Commence rapid fire discussion:
![]() |
| Start by tracing a suitable chunk of 1/2" oversize 6061 aluminum plate. |
![]() |
| Cut said chunk out on the bandsaw |







No comments:
Post a Comment
Make it cool, smart or funny, or even polite.
Otherwise, put it on your own blog.