I got way too ahead of myself last week when I got that door cut. I hurriedly slapped on a handle and latch, gluing and screwing things down with reckless abandon not really thinking things through. Hence, my first fuckup on the camper.
The problem was, sure I could go into the camper and lock the door, but what about when I leave the camper? How does the door stay shut? How do I lock it? So, once again, I acted rashly and grabbed a big holesaw from work and made this:
It's for a round latch that I got as a sample when I was designing something for the Australian Navy. The problem was, it wasn't meant for something as thick as the door, which is about an inch thick. Also, there's still no way to lock it.
So I smeared gorilla glue along the side and tacked it back in place and when the glue dried, I patched it with wood filler. So I went to the hardware store and bought a screen door knob that had a key and boasted some shit like "you won't be locked out again" because this one you could unlock with a key. It take much fiddling with it at work for me to discover that, while you can unlock it, you couldn't lock it.
Fucking useless.
I realized that the store was still open and it was only 30 miles away and it was all I could do to suppress the need to go get the proper knob. It drove me mental, but after an few minutes of reminding myself that the door still had to be patched, I could wait... I could wait.
Eventually, I get the right knob with key and all that and it does work as I needed and it was good. Techincally, it was shitty because a retaining e-clip that kept the lockset installed had fallen out when I was installing the latch and I was dumbfounded and enraged at this next inconvenience. Fortunately, I had a replacement that almost fit- I just needed to machine the lock a little.
Today, I went to the junkyard to do a little window shopping
No comments:
Post a Comment
Make it cool, smart or funny, or even polite.
Otherwise, put it on your own blog.