The Camper Build

This is the Blog Addendum. To see the main page, go here.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Roof by 2/3rds

Got the Driver's side fitted this weekend.Hit a snag that ended up being a case of me making a dumb mistake that snowballed into bad decision making:

So to hang the roof panels, I installed some aluminum brackets. You can see them in the last update. You can also see they're mounted on the frame so that the first kerf in the panel is aligned with the outer most edge of the batten in the roof. That's how it's supposed to work.

So last week, I had cut the roof panel to 34 7/8", made the 30 or so kerfs, wet the panel and hung it. I clamped the panel to the top batten and got outside to clamp the other end of the panel to the side batten when I saw that the panel was not wide enough. I remeasured it, put the sample strip of ply I had made at the start of this route and dammit if it wasn't the size I had intended.

It made no sense. How can it be right and not fit? wtf

So that ruined my weekend. I stewed the next week about what could have gone wrong. I had to have just measured wrong somehow. I dunno. Anyway, this past weekend, I got another sheet of ply, cut it the addition 2 inches I decided that I needed (the EXACTLY 2 inches should have clued me in, here) and kerfed the whole thing. I wet the panel, hung it on my brackets and clamped the top of this new panel to the top batten.

And then I saw it.

I hung the brackets on the INSIDE edge of the batten- exactly 2 inches from where it should have been. I rechecked the brackets and verified the brackets of the passenger side and, yup, I fucked it up.

So I took down the brackets,. rehung them properly and clamped the panel down. Sure enough, my new panel was now 2 inches too long. I hadn't bothered to clamp my old panel down to dry last week, and I didn't want to re-wet it and use it, so I'll wait for the weekend and trip that excess off with the router. It'll be really quick. Anyway, the original panel had lots of voids and defects I was pretty pissed about, so it works out.

Anyway, the plan for this coming weekend is to trim, glue and clamp the panel down (verifying that I have a less than 48" gap for the final panel used in top) and the rest of the roof will be a cake walk.

You'll also note that I fixed the window frame, I'm patching voids in joinery, and working on some electrical stuff during the week. Big plan is to get a trailer so I can wheel this now very heavy camper out into the gravel driveway to finish the exterior, clean the interior and start painting/siding.

Unknowns are really dropping off at this point and the end is in sight. I'm really looking forward to getting the electrical work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make it cool, smart or funny, or even polite.
Otherwise, put it on your own blog.